Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Couple of Thoughts on Recent Movies

We saw Despereaux this weekend (thanks for babysitting Kates!) and enjoyed it. I didn't expect it to be as dark since it was a children's movie, but I really liked the theme of forgiveness. Josh liked that the little mouse was brave and a hero in spite of large odds. One of his favorite songs is Hero by Steve Taylor, so this movie definitely struck a chord with Josh. I probably would not take my 5 year old (when she's 5 anyway) to see it unless I knew she could handle suspense and scary rats pretty well. It was cute to hear little kids in the theater asking their mommies and daddies if the princess was gonna be okay. "Look, she's going to be alright - Despereaux is going to save her!".

We also recently watched Lars and the Real Girl. There were unfortunately comments that could have been removed, but I appreciated the movie showing the humanness of people. This guy in a small town has social problems and does not visit people, but stays home all the time. If I could sum up his whole life it would be fear. He lives in a garage near his late father's house, where his brother and sister-in-law live. His family starts to worry about him when he shows up at their door with a life sized doll, claiming that she is his girlfriend. Throughout the movie he acts as if she is real, talking to her and taking her everywhere. His brother and sister-in-law ask the local doctor what to do for Lars since he is having this delusion. The dr. merely suggests to play along with it. She (the dr.) works with the doll every week saying that it has a blood pressure problem, using the treatment time to actually talk with Lars. It is sort of confusing at first, but you find out Lars' root problem is that his mother died in childbirth - his childbirth. His father and brother didn't talk to him much and sort of forgot about him. Anyway, it gets resolved at the very very very end. I was surprised that it didn't show him getting better quicker, say half the movie, and then the rest of the movie having him interact with others. It was good, but on the slower and more thoughtful side. I haven't seen one of those since I got married!

2 comments:

Elicia said...

Have you ever read the book The Tale of Despereaux? If you have, is the movie anything like it? My sisters and I were wondering. Maybe we'll just have to go see it.

banderclip said...

Hi Ellie,
No I haven't read that book. Is it good? Usually the book is better than the movie. I have to try and see the book and the movie as separate stories or I'll be disappointed.